Given that we are in the midst of typhoon and flood season, be prepared! Create your own OCfied Emergency Kit!
1. Make sure you have a FIRST AID KIT.
National Book Store and most drug stores already have ready-made ones. But if you have to make your own, the Red Cross recommends the following items to be included in your first aid kit:
· absorbent compress dressings (5 x 9 inches)
· 25 adhesive bandages (assorted sizes)
· 1 adhesive cloth tape (10 yards x 1 inch)
· 5 antibiotic ointment packets (approximately 1 gram)
· 5 antiseptic wipe packets
· 2 packets of aspirin (81 mg each)
· 1 blanket (space blanket)
· 1 breathing barrier (with one-way valve)
· 1 instant cold compress
· 2 pair of nonlatex gloves (size: large)
· 2 hydrocortisone ointment packets (approximately 1 gram each)
· 1 roller bandage (3 inches wide)
· 1 roller bandage (4 inches wide)
· 5 sterile gauze pads (3 x 3 inches)
· 5 sterile gauze pads (4 x 4 inches)
· Oral thermometer (non-mercury/nonglass)
· 2 triangular bandages
· First aid instruction booklet
2. Create an EMERGENCY GRAB BAG
I found a lunch cooler at National Book Store which I chose because it’s reflectorized. Inside I placed the following items:
Duplicate keys attached with Velcro strips
Rechargeable Flash Light and Extra Batteries
Neon Umbrella and Rain Coat
Extra First Aid materials (e.g. Arm Sling, Ice Pack)
Water and Cookies
3. Create a SAFE STORAGE FOR IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS
Place all your important documents in a clear plastic zip envelope. Add in a print out of your emergency numbers and some reserve cash.
I certainly pray that none of us ever have to use our emergency kits but let’s all try our best to be prepared. May you all stay safe during this season!